Children with a SEN are provided with additional transition opportunities at Huntingtree, alongside the transition days provided to all pupils. The purpose of these additional transition opportunities is to increase the chances of a smooth transition to their new year group and/or phase.
The opportunities include the following:
- A ‘walk and talk’ around the playground with their new teacher
- A meeting with the school’s Pastoral Lead to discuss next year
- An extra visit to their new classroom and the chance to learn about their new workspace
- The chance to write a letter to a child in my new year group and receive a reply
- A meeting between the child’s parents and their new teacher
- A social story about their new classroom and the adults who will be supporting
- Thoughts and feelings work with a member of our Nurture team
- The opportunity to visit their new teacher and show off some of their best work
Transition opportunities are adapted as appropriate for children transitioning from Reception to Year 1 with these plans beginning early in the Summer term to facilitate a smooth start to Year 1.
We liaise with secondary schools closely to ensure a comprehensive hand over of relevant information about a child with SEND, and to arrange additional transition opportunities where possible.